These almond butter and oat-based cookies quickly became popular on the road to Sacramento for the USATF Junior Olympic National Championships this summer. They are nutrient-dense and customizable to whatever dietary needs you’re cooking for, but more importantly, they taste really good! Level-up the recipe by using UCAN almond butter for even more satiating slow-burning carbs. This recipe happens to be vegan, but omnivorous athletes will enjoy them all the same.
Almond Butter Oat Cookies
Makes about 16 cookies. Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 18-20 minutes.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal (for flax egg; sub real egg if desired)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional, but add more oats if omitting)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup smooth almond butter (try UCAN)
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add-ins: I used about ½ cup chocolate chips and ¼ cup hemp hearts (good protein). Use whatever chips, dried fruit, or nuts you want
- Make the flax egg by combining the flax meal with 5 tbsp of water, mix, and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. It will thicken up.
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment.
- Combine oats, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and flax egg (when ready).
- Combine wet ingredients with oats. It will be very sticky! Fold in add-ins.
- Use a cookie scoop or clean hands to make about 16 cookie balls, depending on how big you want these. Mine are about 2-3 inches in diameter. They do not spread when baking; flatten them a bit on the sheet to make a cookie shape that will bake evenly.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, and then cool on the pan for 5 min. Transfer to wire cooling rack, then store in a sealed container for up to a week. No need to refrigerate. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts based on this recipe generating 16 cookies with chocolate chips and hemp hearts added:
Calories: 226 | Fat: 14.3g Carbs: 21.2g Fiber 3.2g Sugar 7.2g Protein: 5g | Potassium: 232mg Iron: 2.6 mg